Monday, March 5, 2012

Part 2 of Saturday - Batu Ferringhee

While the weather continues to be hot and humid - the rain has been coming earlier and earlier in the day so, rather than having a downpour at 9 or 10pm, it has been getting really dark and threatening at all sorts of times, and I've been caught in a downpour walking home from the market more than once these past few days.
Such is the case for us on Saturday.  Narelle and Craig Collas picked me up at my apartment just as I returned from the MMPS meeting at the Y., and we headed off for a night at Batu Ferringhee - the beach resort area of Penang Island.  Joining us was an Australian medic, Simone, who is one of the single women posted here in Penang.  She has been here a few more months longer than Narelle and Craig.  She is a cheerful sort and a fun addition to our group.   Anyway - by the time we had driven down to the beach area, about a 15 minute drive due to the (typical) heavy traffic, the skies were gray.  By the time we finished dinner - we ate at a Lebanese restaurant along the main market road, it was raining.  So, unfortunately, no great beach photos.
A great view of my feet being knawed on!
However, we had fun nevertheless.  First we tried the 'Fish Spa'.  Apparently this practice comes from Viet Nam.  The 'hot tub looking' small pool is full of small fish.  Following a quick rinse off of your feet, you sit down on the edge of the tub and stick your feet into the pool.  the fish start nibbling on your feet almost immediately, eating away at dead skin, etc. (or such is the theory).  It was a little creepy, I must confess.  I don't know what kind of fish -  they looked like regular fish that you would have in your goldfish bowl - not piranhas, anyway...  But I had a small raw blister area on the side of my foot where my flip flop had rubbed me during a walk home in the rain the day before, - and the fish really like to pull at the edges of skin around the sore.   I don't think I'll do that ever again....  But afterall, who knows when I'll be asked if I want a 'fish spa' again?
Craig & Narelle  experiencing the Fish Spa
After some delicious Lebanese falafel, kafta, and tobouleh dishes, we walked up and down the market.  there must have been close to 1000 different stalls of tourist-type beach stuff, mostly made in china, I would bet.  I couldn't decide what to purchase for all of my family members back home (Phew - all of you folks can breathe a sigh of relief!) so I settled for a pair of unusual salt & pepper shakers, some small chinese purses, and some artistic postcards/notecards. 
We finished the evening with some coffee at one of the resort hotels.  Huge cups of frothy local-style coffee plus sugar crystal stix (too cute to put in the coffee!). 

1 comment:

  1. I think you can get a fish manicure in Alexandria when you get home if you want :-)

    ReplyDelete