Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Penang Hill

This weekend I decided to once again use my time away from WABA work to do some sightseeing.  This time it was to take the cable car ride up to the top of Penang Hill, one of the highest points in the small mountain (?is that in congruent?) range that runs along one side of this island.  Penang Hill was originally established by Frances Light (East India company) as Flagstaff Hill in the late 1700s.  The top of the  mountain offers cooler temps (2410 ft) and magnificent views.  I originally planned to travel to Penang Hill on Saturday afternoon and then travel over to the beach area of town on Sunday afternoon.  But Saturday was cloudy and when I headed out the door at about 4 pm on Saturday afternoon the skies looked ominous.  So instead of taking Bus #204 from Komtar as planned, I ended up doing some window shopping at the malls nearby. - There is a French based supermarket called Cannefore (don't know if I've spelled that correctly) and I decided to splurge on some imported REAL ground coffee for myself.  (Delicious, by the way) 
So, after a nice time at contemporary worship Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon was bright and sunny and Penang Hill here I come.  Taking the local buses is really quite easy and inexpensive.  the cable car trip up the mountain cost me 30 Ringgit (about $10 U.S.) but I don't think that I would have made the steep hike up the mountain on foot - mostly because the trail is very poorly marked....  And besides, the cable car ride was fun.  I spent about an hour up on top - very pleasant.  There are old, historic hotels from the days when the colonists got away from the heat by getting to higher elevations.  And there is a mosque and a Buddhist temple.  I wish I had had more time to explore the botanical gardens located at the base of the mountain - they are the oldest (1880s) and most well-maintained gardens in Malaysia. (so says the guide book!).  While I (once again) wished that I had someone to share the adventure with - i met several friendly tourists, including a couple from Singapore who rode back on the bus with me.  Got home, tired and sweaty, just as it began to get really dark and difficult to see.  Another blessed day.
anyway - here are some of the spectacular views from the top - Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment